By A. Minocha MD, author: Guide to Alternative Medicine and Digestive System
Thanks to globalization, the world is a small place and getting smaller everyday. As the socioeconomic status of people improves, they tend to travel far and wide (driving, sea voyage and flying), both for business and pleasure.
Whether it is driving long distance, sea journey or flying, one must be aware of health risks associated with travel. Many of these risks can be ameliorated by being proacative. Motion sickness also known as travel sickness is one of them.
Following is a list of some of measures you may take to prevent motion sickness:
1. Minimize motion effect and thus risk of motion sickness by positioning yourself at the site of least shakiness or motion. The possibilities of least motion include getting a room in the middle of ship or having a seat over the wings in the airplanes.
2. Try taking a nap rather than reading.
5. Drink water while minimizing carbonated beverages.
6. Avoid eating before short flights.
7. Those at high risk for motion sickness may take over the counter (OTC) medications like other preventative drugs like Benadryl, scopolamine or meclizine an hour before departure. Skin patches are available for some drugs. Be sure to talk to your physician prior to using these or any other drugs because they have potential for major side effects especially among elderly individuals.
8. Ginger is effective in nausea and vomiting of pregnancy and may be effective in motion/travel sickness. Take ginger powder/capsules or chew fresh ginger root slice. Dose 1g every 4-6 hours as needed.
Above all, relax and be safe. Plan so you don't rush have to rush.
Below are some more topics you may be interested
Please help Autism-Healthy-Gut website